Triathlon Gyrl

Friday, May 18, 2007

A Socially Productive Friday Evening

During the late afternoon, the Director of Policy called me and asked if I could testify at a Budget Committee Hearing and conduct legislative visits as they pertain to the Governor's proposed CalWORKS cuts in his Budget Revision which he released on Monday, 5/14. I agreed and spent the rest of the afternoon preping for Monday. Then, I thought about my friend Carol who lives and works near my office.

I called Carol at 4:45 pm to ask her if she wanted to meet up for a "drive-by" (i.e., a quick) drink, and she agreed. We met at Luka's, my favorite bar in Oakland and chatted for over 1.5 hours. It was so great to see her and hear all about her new niece and law school applications...

Then, I came home and whipped dinner together and my trainee, Nikita, from my part-time, clinical work came over, and we had dinner together. She is vegan so I made chana masala, broccoli stir-fry, and rice. For someone who is vegan, that girl can drink (alcohol)! Anyhow, we talked about people's insensitivity to vegans as well as our experiences with clients who lack health insurance. It was really good conversation.

Tomorrow, I will be in Calistoga for an overnight, staff retreat which I am really looking forward to. It is at a place called Mayacamas Ranch; I googled it and was memorized by its beauty. Check it out: http://www.mayacamasranch.com/home.html.

Anyhow, I must go to bed now as I am really tired and had too many drinks tonight- 4! I am meeting my friend for dance class in the early am.

Good night!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home